Sunday, June 8, 2008

the world is fat

Being healthy is a lot of work. I set a goal for myself to lose five pounds before summer heat hit fullscale, but so far it's been a failure. Issues:

- I spend 2/3 of my mealtimes with my boyfriend who, being roughly a foot taller than I, can eat three times as many calories in one sitting. Not fair.
- I also spend a lot of time hanging out with people in relaxed social situations that usually include a meal or two. Self-restriction isn't easy when those around you are stuffing their faces with deliciously disgusting food. And the alcohol (mostly beer) consumption that happens in the context of these social situations only pours on more calories and causes me to temporarily abandon my convictions about healthy eating.
- I like to exercise, especially running and biking, but doing so only wakens my appetite and weakens my defenses against overeating -- I've actually gained two or three pounds thanks to my increased summertime exercise regimen, muscle mass and otherwise.
- Healthy food is expensive and I am poor (and bad at budgeting).
- I've never been thinner than I am right now. Well, not since the age of what, like 15?
- I am fighting a lot of bad habits. I was raised in a home that did not eat healthy food, so I have to figure out for myself what is good and what isn't; I eat quickly and usually end up being a little too full; I like to snack; blah blah blah, etc.

Point being, I've hit a plateau and I'm frustrated. Seems to me that setting good habits for myself is going to take a lot of determination, and once those habits are in place it's going to set me apart from 95% of the college crowd. BUT regardless of my whining... I am going to do it. I want my body to feel good and work the way it's supposed to -- I just need some patience while it finds its way there.

1 comment:

  1. good planning. i'm absolutely determined to lose at LEAST five pounds by the end of the summer. because i gained a little more than i would have liked over the year. boo. frustrating, i know, but we can do it!

    ReplyDelete